Monday 6 April 2015

Bank holiday weekend Blues


The Bank Holiday weekend is here but it feels like any other day to me. I'm starting to get a bit of cabin fever as I spend most of the weekend and my life in my bedroom either asleep or trying to get to sleep or trying to get Iris to sleep. I never thought I would get annoyed by this word, I never thought this word would take over my life, but it has and I wish it hadn't. 
Before having Iris, I was hardcore when it came to no sleep as my job was unpredictable and I worked a lot of hours. Sleep was second to my job and I coped fine with it, regularly doing 20 hour shifts with 4 hours sleep.
 My life has changed massively. Even when I was pregnant, I spent the 9 months feeling exhausted but towards the end, hardly sleeping because I was so anxious, nowadays I spend night after night being woken after 25 minutes, 1 hour, 3 hours sleep. it's so unpredictable it's a form Of torture. I think I would deal better with having none, than just drifting off and being woken for the umpteenth time.  My baby could wake me a hundred times a night however and I would still love her and be thankful for every day she is here. 

I'm currently filling out that Dr Kids Sleep App the one done by a London Hospital. I don't know what I was expecting really a magic cure, a name of a dysfunction to label my child's sleep or someone to tell me she is normal. At the moment it's highlighting the obvious to me, Iris average sleep 6.5 hours, Iris should be sleeping 10-15! What am I going to do about it? Cry?  get depressed? No, I'm going to read every article and book and speak to as many people as I can on sleep and try and get her out of this. I do believe it's a phase and she can be 'trained' when she is ready to go to sleep and wake not needing mummy but she isn't ready yet. Why should I expect her to be she is not even a year old. 
I'm sure amongst my friends there will be a few eyebrows raised that I am writing such a blog. It's not until you are In this situation that you realize just how important sleep is to just about everything. I try not to talk about it with people now as it bores the pants off of them and me. I always see it as a negative when infact a negative would be being born with a disability or disease. It should just be Iris is Iris, yes she doesn't sleep well but the love she has in her heart could fill a room and I'm the luckiest mum in the world to have her ❤️❤️❤️ xxx 

No comments:

Post a Comment